ZGURIȚA (ro) / ZGURITZA (ru) / ZGARITZE (yid)
The Jewish colony Zgurița was established in 1853. By the end of 19th century Jews constituted a vast majority of the population: 1.802 of 2.107. It had 5 prayer houses, a bath. In early 1900s a phone station and a one-class school were established. In 1930 Jews constituted 2.541 of 3.028. In 1940-41 dozens of the Jewish families were repressed by the Soviet authorities. In July 1941 most of Jews were deported by the Romanian troops to Transnistrian camps, very few came back in 1944-45.
In Zgurița we would see rather well preserved old Jewish cemetery and abandoned synagogue building, authentic formerly Jewish houses.
© Jewish Heritage Moldova (Maghid NGO) Research, Education, Guiding